How To Open a Bank Account on Your Phone: Have you ever wondered if it’s possible to open a bank account from the comfort of your living room?
This might sound like a dream, especially if you remember the days of lengthy queues and endless paperwork at the bank.
Thanks to the innovation and drive of Nigerian banks, residents can now enjoy the luxury of opening and operating a bank account right from their mobile phones.
This initiative is fully endorsed by the Central Bank of Nigeria and promises to bridge the financial inclusion gap.
But how can you open a bank account on your phone in Nigeria? Let’s dive into the world of mobile banking!
Mobile Banking: Why the Buzz?
With mobile banking, a world of possibilities is opened to Nigerians.
This isn’t just about checking your balance or transferring funds; it’s about accessing a suite of financial services such as savings, paying bills, and even cashing out without a traditional ATM card.
For many Nigerians, this is a ticket to financial independence and security.
With the rapid advancement of technology, USSD banking has become a favorite for many Nigerians.
Why? Because it offers an incredibly convenient way to access financial services
Here are some benefits of mobile and USSD banking:
- Availability: No internet? No problem! USSD banking doesn’t require an internet connection.
- Speed: Forget the days of waiting. Now, you can perform transactions in seconds.
- Simplicity: No need for a tech degree. Just dial a code and follow straightforward prompts.
Basic Requirements for USSD Mobile Banking
Before you embark on the journey of opening a bank account on your phone, there are a few things you’ll need. These include:
- A mobile phone (smartphone not mandatory).
- A Nigerian phone number.
- Personal details like your name and date of birth.
Interestingly, you can open a bank account on your phone in Nigeria without BVN initially, but you may need to link it later for full account functionality.
Once you have those requirements, you can now proceed to the next step; opening a bank account on phone without BVN.
Read Also: How to Open Opay Account for Free
How To Open a Bank Account on Your Phone: Step-by-Step Guide
- Decide which bank best suits your needs.
- Dial the bank-specific USSD code on your phone.
- Follow the prompt to initiate account opening.
- Input necessary details like your name and DOB.
- Set up your unique PIN.
- Voilà! You get a 10-digit NUBAN sent to you via SMS.
And that’s all. However, in reference to the second step, let’s take a look at the USSD code to open a bank account in popular Nigerian banks.
Check Out: How to Open a Dollar Account in Nigeria
Opening a Bank Account on Phone in Nigerian Major Banks
To open a Zenith Bank account on your phone, all you need to do is dial their USSD code *966#.
With Zenith, how to open a bank account using USSD code is as easy as:
- Dial *966#.
- Follow the prompts to open a bank account on phone without going to the bank.
- After a few steps, you’ll receive your 10-digit NUBAN.
Read More: How to Activate Zenith Bank USSD Code
Can you open an Access Bank account on your phone? Absolutely! Here’s how:
- Dial the Access USSD code, *901#.
- Follow the simple instructions to open bank account with phone free.
- Receive your unique NUBAN via SMS.
Read More: How to Activate Access Bank USSD Code
Opening a UBA account on your phone is straightforward! Here’s the process:
- Dial *919# – that’s the USSD code to open a bank account in Nigeria with UBA.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Get your account number in no time.
Read More: How to Activate UBA USSD Code
For those who want to open a FirstBank account on phone, here’s a quick guide:
- Dial *894#.
- Choose the option to open wallet account on phone.
- Provide the required details, and you’re set!
Read More: How to Activate FirstBank USSD Code
Wondering how to open a GTBank account on your phone? Here’s a quick guide:
- Dial the USSD code: *737#.
- Navigate through the provided options.
- Within moments, you’ll receive an SMS with your NUBAN.
Read More: How to Activate GTBank USSD Code
For those eager to open a Union Bank account on their phone, it’s straightforward:
- Start the process by dialing *826#.
- Follow the interactive on-screen directions.
- Soon after, you’ll get an SMS confirming your new account number.
Read More: How to Activate Union Bank USSD Code
Opening a Polaris Bank account using your phone is hassle-free:
- Kick things off by dialing *833#.
- Stick with the on-screen prompts.
- In no time, you’ll have your unique account number sent to you.
Read More: How to Activate Polaris Bank USSD Code
To open a Fidelity Bank account on your phone, just:
- Initiate by dialing *770#.
- Choose the relevant option and follow instructions.
- A message bearing your account number will be sent shortly.
Read More: How to Activate Fidelity Bank USSD Code
For those interested in opening a Jaiz Bank account on their phone:
- Begin by dialing *389*301#.
- Stick to the provided steps on your phone’s display.
- Presto! Your account number will be messaged to you promptly.
Read More: How to Activate Jaiz Bank USSD Code
Lastly, for those looking to open a Wema Bank account via phone:
- Simply start by dialing *945#.
- Adhere to the on-screen commands.
- You’ll soon get an SMS with your account number.
Read More: How to Activate Wema Bank USSD Code
Common Challenges & Troubleshooting When Opening a Bank Account on Your Phone
Despite the convenience, some users face challenges with USSD banking:
- Network Issues: Sometimes, the USSD code to open a bank account in Nigeria might not work due to network glitches. Retry after a while or contact your bank’s customer service.
- Incorrect Details: Ensure you input accurate details to avoid hitches.
- BVN Linking: Remember, while you can open bank account on your phone in Nigeria without BVN, eventually, you might need to link your BVN for full services.
Safety Tips for USSD Mobile Banking
- Keep your USSD pin secret.
- Never respond to suspicious USSD prompts.
- Regularly check your account balance and transaction history.
Related: Best Domiciliary Account in Nigeria
Opening an Account on Phone – FAQs
Can I open a bank account on my phone without BVN?
Yes, but for full benefits, you might need to link your BVN later.
Can I open a bank account using my phone without visiting the bank?
Absolutely! Most banks in Nigeria now offer this feature.
What are the requirements to open a bank account with a phone?
Usually, just your name, date of birth, and phone number.
Gone are the days of long bank queues and paperwork.
With USSD banking in Nigeria, you can open a bank account on your phone, transfer funds, check balance, and so much more.
Embrace the future of banking today and enjoy unparalleled convenience.